Vice-President – James Fraser
Jim and his wife Jane have been members of the OTBO beginning in 1974 and reside on a 21- acre horse farm in the Cincinnati suburb of Indian Hill just inside the I-275 beltway. He started in the horse business at age 24 in 1968, soon after graduation from the University of Pennsylvania with the purchase of a 50% interest in an Aqueduct S/W and multiple Ohio S/W broodmare from which he has three 4th and 5th generation broodmares along with two other broodmares acquired along the way. They sell all colts and most fillies, retaining a race filly annually with the hope of a future broodmare if quite successful at the track. They foal their mares themselves and personally van back and forth to Lexington for breed backs such that the mares are out of state for only 5 hours. Currently we breed to only Kentucky stallions because Kentucky has the best sire lines internationally so close, and results in foals with commercial appeal.
Despite this preference I wholeheartedly support a strong Ohio Accredited program at its current 25 % exclusive level for Ohio Fund races while fully eligible for the other 75% of Ohio Fund races. He stood an Ohio stallion from 1984-1987 and has the utmost respect for Ohioans who stand Ohio stallions. Accredited breds represent the fastest and easiest way to rebuild our states foal count by having new owners in Ohio enter the business especially if the OTBO can resume its Ohio yearling and mixed sale. The OTBO needs to accomplish this as well as conducting monthly new owner seminars at each Ohio track during their racing dates.
Ohio’s MSW purses range from 21,600 to 29,500 which compares favorably with surrounding tracks such as Turfway, Ellis, Indiana Grand, Arlington, Hawthorne, and Mountaineer. We even exceed Tampa Bay. We have come a long way since 2011 with only 136 in the foal count now up to above 300 (last full year count in 2015 was 360), thanks to Racino purse contributions and the 3% that comes from the 4 Ohio casinos.
He have been on the OTBO board for the past three years as well as 1986-1992, and advocate for an OTBO yearling and mixed sale, new owner monthly seminars at the tracks, and support for a turf course at Thistledown. I also think the OTBO needs to encourage syndications of Ohio yearling purchases to enlarge ownership participation in Ohio. Professionally Ihe is semi-retired and Chairman of Brakefire,Inc. dba Silco Fire & Security headquartered in Cincinnati with branches in Dayton, Columbus, Akron and Cleveland.
Treasurer – Bruce Ryan
Bruce Ryan has a long history with race horses. He started working at River Downs when he was a Junior at McNickolas High School. He got his 1st taste of the winners circle with a Horse called Pogo Sue on 7-15-1971. After high school he attended the University of Cincinnati where he got his business degree and went to work for Johnson & Johnson and then American Hospital. In 1982 he started his own company, Ryan’s All-Glass. He took quite a while building this business so that it would support his family and then once again became involved with his true passion, race horses. He purchased a mare named Cold Night Beauty and once again headed for the winners circle. That was in January 1996 and he has been in the business full time since then. He partnered up with Tim Hamm Racing Stable and got his 1st stake win with a horse called Luvaprivate, 5-20-2006 in the Tomboy Stakes at River Downs. His most recent Stake horse is a filly named Needmore Flattery. She had a great 2-year-old year, earning upwards of $203,000.00 in 2013 and is looking great for her comeback as a 3-year-old. Bruce’s current statistics include 272 starts, 44 wins, 50 seconds, 41 thirds and over a million in earnings. He has a 150 acre farm near Morrow Ohio where he keeps a band of between 6 and 10 broodmares, including Kiosk and Luvaprivate. The majority of Bruce’s racing stock are homebreds. He is a great advocate of the Ohio Thoroughbred racing program and continually tries to increase the breeding stock and quality of the horses he brings to into this great state. He is excited to be a part of this up and coming state breeding program and looks forward to being in the business and enjoying his passion for the breed and the sport.
Mike has been involved in horse racing as an owner for 41+ years and joined the OTBO in this capacity in October of 2020. He has raced in over 23 different jurisdictions in the US and Canada. He ran his first horse in Ohio in 1983 and currently has 15+ horses in active training. In the past, he campaigned multiple Ohio stake winners including Blanconia, Raise the Reward, Pat’s Karma, and Grizabella. He brings to this position a career in corporate start ups and turn arounds.